Monday 12 November 2012

Practice Makes Perfect..

I'll admit right now that my feelings over the last few days have been mixed swinging between "Of course I'm going to be fantastic, I'm the next <insert framebuilder> I just haven't found out yet, to "I'm going to be hopeless, I'll probably burn the workshop to the ground".

As it happens, the result was neither of the above. It turns out that brazing is a skill like any other that gets better with practice, and as with any skill you make the quickest strides forward in the early days

Day 1 is complete, and I feel like I've already achieved so much

During today

  • I laid my first ever braze
  • Moved on to joining a tube to a flat surface

  • Formed my first tube-to-tube joint
 
  • Tested the joint to destruction


 
 
  • And Mitred some tubes
 
     
    Which altogether feels like a heck of a lot to learn in a single day. However it's a credit to the teaching standards that none of it felt rushed, and that I feel like I could have a reasonable go at repeating it on my own already. Bear in mind the last time I worked a piece of metal in any way was a pre-GCSE metalwork class, and I'm 30 now, you can take all of this as a hearty recommendation.
     
    It has rather punctured the mystique of the framebuilder - after all, I'm a bit cackhanded and I spend my working days driving a desk, the ideal place from which to lionise those near-mythical torchmen whose names adorn many a downtube. But if I can do it, I reckon anyone sober with two working hands can have a go (though apparently a couple of pints can make your brazing better - I'm not sure i'm ready for that yet).
     
    Dont get me wrong, I'm not going to be knocking out frames in quantity any time soon, but I can guarantee it wont be long before one of my own is under me.
     
    Roll on day 2!
 
 
 
 
 
 
        

No comments:

Post a Comment